Whilst responsibility for the governance of Wetherby-Pembridge New York rests with the Board of the Alpha Plus Group in London, an Advisory Board has been appointed to provide the necessary local support and supervision. The Advisory Board usually meet three times per year and its minutes are received by the parent Board at its next meeting.
Members of the Board are appointed by the Chairman of the Alpha Plus Group.
The Board are expected to:
- Oversee the educational provision, leadership and efficient running of WPNY
- Support and, where appropriate, challenge the Head who reports in writing prior to each Board meeting under a range of headings including enrolment, standards, health & safety and safeguarding. There will also be a written financial update from the Finance Director of the Alpha Plus Group
- Promote the school in the local community
- Receive and question verbal reports from visiting Alpha Plus executives at each board meeting
- In partnership with the Directorate of the Alpha Plus Group, help to set strategy and monitor standards
Board members are appointed for an initial three year term which is renewable for further terms of three years. Membership covers the necessary areas of expertise including education, finance and property.
Board meetings take place in mid-October, mid-March and late May.
The Chairman or Deputy Chairman of the Alpha Plus Group usually come to New York to chair the Advisory Board meetings. They are ex-officio members of the Advisory Board and receive all Board papers.
Members of the Alpha Plus executive carry out their termly governance check visits during the two days prior to Advisory Board meetings and stay to report verbally at those meetings. The Finance Director of Alpha Plus provides annual accounts for the October meeting (the financial year ending on August 31st) and the budget for the following academic year is presented for discussion at the March meeting.
The Head of the School arranges a minute taker. The Head normally attends all meetings but may be asked to withdraw whilst private business is discussed.